Trace Lighting User Forum
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
July 20, 2018, 12:59:55 PM
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MODIFICATIONS AND UPGRADES CONCEPTS  (Read 2553 times)

I have a smoke machine 900w, Its a small smoker as power is a problem for me as all lights and stuff are normal off a 13amp socket. I have used a module 3 channel led DMX dimmer and converted this to fire 2 relays and other a verable 12vdc output. This has been fitted inside the small smoker to power up the heaters form standby to on, Fire the smoke and give a 12vdc output up to 2 amp to a small fan.

Just a warning as I understand electronics, dont use a LED DMX module without modification as the output pulses to console leds and would not fire relays without.

The other modification I have done that may help other is to help make the smoker a bit more silent. ONLY attempt this if you are confident in electronics and never when powered.

There are two sounds from a smoker and that is one the hisss sound from the smoke and the other from the pump. The pump is the only one you could do something about.

I opened the smoker and found the pump hard mounted with screws onto the case. This means the sound of the pump firing is amplified by the case. The way to get round this is to mount the pump on a hard solid bit of rubber making sure that fixings for the pump connect only to the rubber. Fix the rubber to the case again using screws. The rubber should not melt as long as the pump is not near the heating element and block.
When you mow fire the smoker the pump will sound a lot more silent than before. You can not do a thing about the hisss on a budget smoker as a pipe will obstruct the output of the smoke.

I can not give you details as each use is different but but they may fire the imagination.

Another thing I did using a 3 channel DMX board is to make a DMX independent.
This controls 3 power sockets at 3 amp each using the 3 channels to fire relays to things that just need on off control (non fading). Again this takes modification  to the PCB to fire the relays as the boards are normally for LED lights and pulse.

I think I have found a solution to help mask the hiss sound from a small smoker. It will not work if you are firing the smoke at the audience as this will only help mask the sound from the sides, top and back.

Also I am lucky as I have accesses to the materials to make what I need for this, and this will only work if the face of the smoker dose not get hot, (The output nozzle will get hot so don't worry about this). This may only help a smoker up to 900w. I use a 900w as the lights I do is for small bands and acts, this is also why it needs to be low noise as not large PA systems to mask the sound.

I got a block of sponge foam, heat resistant 10"x 10" x 10" and cut a hole one side 7" diameter. A longer bit of foam may be better but will restrict the smoke from coming out. Some foam may work better than others and a more textured the better.

Centralize the smoker nozzle so it is in the centre of the 7" hole of the foam and so the foam is against the face of the smoker.

Ok now for the test, compare the sound of the hiss with and without and you should find it has taken a bit of the hiss away as the foam absorbs the sound but due the the size of the hole and length of the foam should not obstruct the smoke.

You will never take the hiss sound away total, but this will help from the sound from the sides, top and back only.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 07:16:58 PM by Wynne Davies »

Next up date I have done to my rig,

• Added more moving heads, Now have 4
  • Changed the rigging layout so my lights for the back line have more cover
  • Changed one of the Led ball Lights so its not RGB but White, Orange, Violet

The next thing I am looking at is changing my foot lights from Halogen to LED to cut down the amps.
My foot banks have 3x red 3x blue 3x green Halogen 50w Bulbs and I have two banks.
Dont Know what is best 10w 20w,30w or 50w Leds, So back to my electronics, Maths and soldering to get them amps down.

Group: Global Moderator

With LED front light it's worth getting something with more than just RGB so as that skin tones look a bit more natural: RGBAW, or similar is worth the extra if you can. You will also need to think a little about the beam angles to make sure the entire stage is covered, though that shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Hope this helps
Chris

Sounds good advice to me

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u July 20, 2018, 12:59:55 PM